CountrySpices Black Sticky Rice
CountrySpices Black Sticky Rice
Place of origin: Meghalaya,India
- Shillong Black Sticky Rice has an uneven black colored bran layer that gives it the extravagant or exotic look alongside the nutrient rich nutty flavor.
- Sourced directly from the traditional farmers of Northeast India’s Meghalaya. The farmers growing black sticky rice have been practicing traditional farming methods which have been passed down for generations and is free from the usage of any chemical based fertilizers and pesticides.
- Shillong Black Sticky Rice is un-milled and therefore far more nutritious than the commonly available milled rice where the bran layer is completely removed.
- The bran layer of black sticky rice is said to have a high anti-oxidant level. Adding to this Black sticky rice is also believed to help protect heart health, improve digestive health and can help detoxify body.
- You can simply steam or simmer it like any common rice and enjoy it as a staple.
How to cook Black Sticky Rice
- Wash rice well in several changes of cold water. Drain well.
- Place rice in a large heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add water; bring to a vigorous boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the rice is tender (but still a little chewy in the center) and the liquid is absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Gently stir and serve.
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days; reheat in the microwave.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BLACK STICKY RICE
|1.||Rich Source of Antioxidants||Black rice really puts itself ahead of either brown or white rice is when it comes to its antioxidant content. Black rice has been found to rival blueberries in terms of antioxidant power. As well as being similar in terms of antioxidants, black rice bran contains less sugar and more fiber and vitamin E antioxidants than blueberries.|
|2.||Inflammation Fighting||While inflammation is a healthy bodily response to foreign bacteria and viruses, sometimes inflammation can get out of control, which is most definitely not a good thing! This type of chronic inflammation is believed by many experts and medical doctors to be at the core of many of today’s common diseases, from asthma to arthritis to cancer. Recommend including black rice or black rice bran as part of an overall anti-inflammatory diet.|
|3.||Weight Management||Black rice is usefulness in helping people reach or maintain a healthy weight.Its high fiber is important in maintaining a healthy weight. Because our bodies digest fiber slowly, high fiber foods keep us fuller for longer, preventing hunger and cravings.|
|4.||Heart Health||Aability of black rice to inhibit cholesterol absorption. Its found that black rice did play a role in this, thanks to the presence of the antioxidant anthocyanins.|
|5.||Cognitive Function||Its found that eating anthocyanin-rich foods like Black Sticky Rice can delay mental aging by up to two and a half years. The results also showed that even greater intakes of anthocyanins and other flavonoids were associated with even slower rates of cognitive decline.|